What is the FSSAI License:
FSSAI or the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is an organization which is responsible for the monitoring and the governing of food business operators. This is done for all different kinds of businesses. This FSSAI license is a must for all the Food Business Operators (FBOs) across India and lays down all the rules and regulations for the running of these businesses. The main aim of the standard is to keep a quality check on all the various food products by monitoring and governing them. It protects the food products from all kinds of adulterations and sale of sub-standard products.
Talking of the categories, this license is categorised into three different types. These are mentioned as follows.
- Central license
- State License
- Basic Registration
FSSAI State License
Be it a food business operator, such as manufacturers, storage areas, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors etc. have to issue a certificate from the State government. The FBO may or may not fall under the state registration. To obtain a certificate under the state, your organisation must have an annual turnover between 12 lakhs and 20 crores which is also one of the main conditions to satisfy as an FSSAI state licensee. The license has a tenure of 1 to 5 years.
FSSAI State License Eligibility
These are the following units which are eligible for the issuance of the license.
- Dairy production units such as milk chilling units, which are equipped for the handling and the pROCess.
- Extraction and refining comPANies which include oil expeller units.
- Slaughtering and meat pROCessing units.
- Food pROCessing units such as labellers and repackers and proprietary foods.
- Units which are 100% export-oriented.
- Storages which have a capacity of less than 50,000 metric tonnes on an annual basis.
- Hotels which are of 4-star ratings or less
FSSAI registration pROCess
For the FSSAI registration pROCedure to be initiated, the FORM A i.e. is the application has to be submitted to the food and safety department. On successful acceptance of the application, the body issues a registration certificate with the registration number and the photo of the applicant after which you can practise your services.